I. ACADEMIC COMPETENCY - Each child is expected to meet or exceed the academic standards adopted by the State of California in Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies, Science and Health.
- Expresses ideas in order to communicate effectively through writing and speaking.
- Achieves competency in all mathematics strands, and applies mathematical concepts to everyday life.
- Develops reading skills that will enable the child to decode, comprehend, analyze and enjoy reading.
- Masters concepts in social studies, science and health.
- Uses appropriate resources to gather information in order to understand the world around himself or herself.
- Uses technology to learn, work and communicate more efficiently.
II. CRITICAL THINKING AND PROBLEM SOLVING - Students can analyze information, synthesize it into a meaningful form, and apply their academic skills to solve problems in all academic areas.
- Uses academic skills and experiences to solve problems.
- Distinguishes facts, opinions and fantasy.
- Gathers information from various sources.
- Understands, evaluates and utilizes information in a meaningful way.
- Forms and defends justifiable opinions.
III. PERSONAL GROWTH AND LIFE SKILLS - Students develop positive personal qualities and values that will help them succeed in school and in life.
- Independent, life-long learner.
- Self-esteem and respect for others.
- Self-discipline and motivation.
- Takes responsibility for words and actions.
- Positive participation in the community and in the democratic process.
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity; values diversity.
- Works collaboratively.
- Makes healthy lifestyle choices.
- Values and deals successfully with change.
IV. ARTISTIC EXPRESSION - Students will experience the visual and performing arts, and learn to express themselves through the various art forms.
- Participates in visual and performing arts.
- Understands the relationship between the arts and the cultures of different peoples.
- Appreciates beauty and talent.
- Attends and appreciates performances by other children and professionals.